When you ask people what would they change about their appearance, the most common answer you will get is “I would have a nose job”, and so over the years, rhynoplasty proved to be one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. It all started with people who had defects from their birth that caused them problems when breathing, and people who got injured sometime in their life.
However, today, people decide to go under the knife and choose to do rhynoplasty simply because they are dissatisfied with the aesthetics of their face. But not everyone’s a candidate. So if you were thinking about the procedure yourself, here are a couple of things you learn about it, and find out if you are the right candidate for it.
About the Procedure
Rhynoplasty as a procedure covers several corrections: you can have your nose reduced, or even enlarged, and you can reshape both the bridge and the nose tip. Depending on the problem you have, or what exactly you are dissatisfied with, you need to consult with the surgeon who will tell you in more detail about all of the previously mentioned things.
Are You a Candidate?
Many people decide to have rhynoplasty done, either because they are dissatisfied with their looks, or because they have troubles breathing, but the fact is that the decision should not be taken lightly. Not everyone is a good candidate, and there are several things you need to ask yourself before making a final decision to head to the clinic:
- Am I healthy enough? Most people deceive themselves into thinking that because nose is not such large an organ, that the procedure is not that big either. However, they are wrong, as there are numerous risks that might come with it, so being in good health before the procedure is really important.
- Am I old enough? You can never be too old to go under the knife and ‘fix’ your nose, but you can be too young to do it. Your nose finishes maturing between the ages of 15 and 17, so it is really important to wait for that period to pass, so that it would not continue to grow after the rhynoplasty.
- How realistic am I? There are those who do not like their noses, and simply start flipping the magazines searching for a different one. Then they create an image in their head of what they would like to look like, and expect nothing less out of the procedure. Although there have been some amazing results that changed person’s overall appearance for the better, it is extremely important to ask the surgeon what can actually be done, and what you can really expect in the end.
- Am I truly ready? You cannot just decide to change your face without informing yourself about the procedure in great detail. That is why the first thing you need to do is talk to your surgeon about everything related to rhynoplasty before and after the procedure itself. You need to know how to prepare for the surgery, and what is the process of recovery. It is also really important to ask about the possible complications and side-effects, so that you would prepare yourself and learn to deal with them if something goes wrong.
- Am I emotionally stable? Changing the shape of your nose will change the shape of your entire face, so you need to be prepared that the person you see in the mirror after the surgery might be a completely different one from the person that went under the knife.
- Can I afford it? Even though it might seem like a simple procedure, if it is for aesthetic reasons, rhynoplasty can cost you an arm and a leg. However, if you do decide to go through with it, never go for the surgeon who offers rhynoplasty for a lower price, but the one that has good recommendations, and the one that you know will do the job right. Beauty costs, so be prepared to pay for it.
Before making a final decision to take a big step and change the shape of your nose, ask yourself all these questions to find out if you are a good candidate for the procedure after all.