There are several valuable reasons why people should take forskolin supplement. Some studies suggest that this supplement may help in muscle building and weight loss. This supplement is nothing but the extract of the plant called coleus forskohlii. This plant has a history as a remedy for asthma. Some studies support that this plant extract functions in a way which is similar to certain kind of conventional drugs used for asthma. This extract is found to be boosting the level of a compound named cyclic cAMP. This compound helps in relaxing the muscles around bronchial tubes and makes it easier for users to breathe. Another potential application of this plant extract is for people suffering from idiopathic congestive cardiomyopathy that can result in heart failure.
What are the pros and cons of forskolin?
Here are the uses and side effects people can experience from using forskolin extract.
- The main use of this supplement is fortifying mental stamina as well as energy.
- It has the ability to enhance learning and memory
- The extract of forskohlii is capable of boosting up the focus and metabolism.
- Forskolin is show to reduce the fat in overweight and obese users.
- It may help in improving fatigue in certain cases.
- It may also promote the synthesis of muscle protein.
- It may improve the memory of people by performing the role of acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
- Forskolin supplement is shown to improve the level of cAMP in the brain.
There are certain limitations when it comes to using this supplement. Women who are pregnant and breast feeding are not suggested to take this supplement without consulting their health care provider. Even people who are taking medications for high blood pressure and other health problems must consult their doctor before they buy this supplement and start taking it.
Risks of taking the extract of forskohlii
It is not sure that taking forskolin is safe to use because there are several studies going on to test the effectiveness of the plant extract. Here are some negative reactions reported by users against forskolin use.
- Low blood pressure and flushing when it is taken through IV.
- Tremor, restlessness, respiratory tract infection and cough when it is inhaled.
- Enlarging of blood vessels in eyes and stinging of eyes are some of the negative reactions experienced by the users of forskolin supplement.
- Headache is another side effect that can increase the rate of heart beat.
People taking some other drugs like blood thinning and anti-platelet drugs must not take forskolin as these drugs may react worse with this supplement. Some of the drugs that may interact with the forskohlii extract are beta blockers, hydralazine and calcium channel blockers. If you are taking any of these medications, you should avoid taking forskolin on your own without consulting a doctor. Even people with polycystic kidney disease should avoid this supplement. It is better to talk to the doctor about the risks before you start taking this supplement on your own.